Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Life is always greener on the other side

At least that's what I've been told. As a military brat, I saw a lot of the US. But Texas was always home. Lived in the same house for almost 20 years (my mother and her sister live there currenly and plan to die there). In the mornings, you set out on the front porch and smell of Rainbo bread baking. Turn the other direction and Maxwell house was grindig up. But most importantly the heart of Downtown Houston was smack dag right in your face. I lived 4 miles from the heart and sole the Houston, and I couldn't wait to get out!

I just wanted to move to a town that had 100 people there, everyone new your name, and even your dog's name. Marriage number 2 took to small town Texas, poplulation 9,127....SALUATE!!! There are 3 schools, elementary, jr high, and high school. All the schools have to share the buses. Which makes it difficult for my 2nd grader to fight over the seat he wants against a junior higher. Same goes for my 15 year old.

We have two places to grocery shop - Walmart (which I'm boycotting - I'll get to that later) and HEB. Therefore, all trips to HEB are over 1 hour long just for catching up on the gossip. Our only place to buy a dress is Palais Royal, and it closes at 6:00pm. The latest a restraunt stays open is 11:00. I"ve yet to find a bar - but I'm activally looking. Therefore, my alcohol consupmtion is limited to the wine on the HEB shelf. I LOVE MY WINE! I'm want to send a case to the person who wrote that having a glass of wine a day is good for you. I just want him to re-write it say at 2-3 glasses a day. That way, I know I"d get a better good nights sleep thanks to the snoring husband.

Growing up, my BFF and I would ride our bicyle to the Downtown library. It has over 5 floors of diversity. We would find an empty aisle and read our latest find. At that time, anything that had to do with love making and living the life of a swinging single woman was what we were after. Now of course, those books never left the library. We hid them in the same corner we were sitting at so that we could finish it the next day. Sidney Sheldon and Harold Robbins put lots in our brains. My most memorable books are "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" and "Master of the Game".

But after living with over 1 million people for 35 years, I wanted peace and quite. That's what I've got. But the grass is not as green as I had imagined. Now my morning I wake to the sound of the Rooster crowing. I'm looking for that damn rooster - his day is coming - the bb gun is loaded and ready to go.

Time for my 1 BIG glass of wine.
lil'l Red.

No comments: